It’s inevitable. It happens to every writer, including Anthony Tata, bestselling author of six fiction novels. It happens to every writer, your prose turns to mush, you don’t have a single creative bone in your body, and you are ready to throw in the towel. Every writer struggles with writer’s block, but here are some ways you can overcome it before you thrown in the towel.
- Eliminate distractions. Turn off your phone, shut down the Internet, try to get rid of everything that pulls your attention away from your writing.
- Go for a run or do anything that will get your blood flowing.
- Read a book.
- Listen to music. Mix things up by listening to classical or jazz.
- Many famous authors create a routine to help summon their muse.
- Use bullet points to brainstorm ideas.
- Get started by reading some inspiring quotes.
- Free write.
- Change your environment.
- Spend some time with someone that makes you feel good.
If you still have writer’s block after trying these methods, there is one sure-fire way to overcome writer’s block. Simply write. Write a few lines and see what happens. Don’t think about it, just put pen to paper and write for the joy of writing. Anthony Tata is no stranger to writer’s block, but he was able to overcome it to publish six fiction novels. You don’t need to say anything fancy, just get some words down on paper.